For children who need a permanent family to live with and cannot return to their birth family
We've joined with Adopt Thames Valley to offer our adoption service. By joining forces in this way, we're able to offer better training and a better matching and placement process, staffed by dedicated professionals. This change helps us to focus on the needs of our children that require placement, as well as the needs of our adopters.
Adopt Thames Valley's goal is to maximise the amount of adopters available to cover the whole range of children who are in need of permanent adoptive families.
Adopt Thames Valley covers all aspects of adoption work up to the point of the child's legal adoption. After this, responsibility for support services then returns to the relevant local authority.
Adopt Thames Valley is here to:
- Provide high quality adoption services for children
- Find children suitable potential adopters
- Assess relatives, friends and foster carers who would like to be considered as a potential adopter for a certain child
- Support waiting adopters in the placement of a child
- Support adopters after the placement of a child/children and work to maximise the long-term success of the placement
Who can adopt?
Adopters can be:
- single or with a partner
- renting or owning their home
- childless or already be parents
Once approved, adopters take on all the responsibilities and duties of parents. This is finalised through the court.
About the children
Many of the children who are looking for families are aged over 12 months, and in some instances will need to be placed along with a sibling. A small number are from ethnic minority groups.
Some of the children have physical and/or learning disabilities and need to be placed with families who are able to take on this responsibility. The security of a loving, caring family is in itself a major factor in helping children overcome their problems.
Find out more
For more information about adoption visit the Adopt Thames Valley website.