Post adoption support
After the adoption is granted, responsibility for providing support is transferred to Wokingham Borough Council and you will be assigned a post adoption support worker.
You can also access post adoption support through
PAC-UK: Agency for adoption and permanency. Visit the PAC-UK website to find out more.
Adoption support groups
The local authorities that make up Adopt Thames Valley all run or facilitate different support groups and social events for adoptive parents living in their area to which adopters who are approved by Adopt Thames Valley and who live in the Borough, are invited. These include:
- Drop-in’ sessions for adoptive parents with pre-school children
- Family social events
- Other topic-based groups which may be run according to need
The Berkshire Adoption Advisory Service organises an on-going programme of post approval training for adopters. Subjects covered include:
- Explaining adoption to an adopted child
- The impact of a child’s past experiences on his future development including issues of attachment, resilience and healing
- How a prospective adopter’s wider family and friends can support a placement